Iglesia del Salvador
C/ Mayor, s/n
30400 CARAVACA DE LA CRUZ
Telephone: +34 968 708 303
This beautiful sample of religious architecture, treasure of the Renaissance in Caravaca and Murcia, was built between 1534 and 1600. The tower was finished later.
It is a hall church, unfortunately incomplete, and it has three naves which rest on wide walls and four columns in Ionic order (of almost two meters in diameter each one), that support the ribbed groin vault at a great height. Around the three naves are distributed seven chapels which construction has been funded by several local noble families. In some of these chapels can be observed wonderful grilles, a piece of work by the artisan Ginés García.
In this church is also noteworthy the retable (altarpiece) of the high altar, which was made by José Sáez, from the disentailed church of the Jesuit order. In such a way, the expression of refined painting, goldsmithing and sculpture it offers are worth mentioning. The Iglesia del Salvador (Church of the Saviour) was declared Monumento Histórico-Artístico Nacional (Historic-Artistic Monument of National Interest) in 1983.