Pza. del Ayuntamiento, s/n
Telephone: +34 968 12 89 50
The City Hall is, without any doubt, one of the most beautiful buildings in Cartagena. Eclectic, somewhat French style, was built between 1900-1907 by Tomás Rico with the collaboration of Francisco de Paula Oliver, on the same site where the old building of the consistory of the 18th century was located.
The triangular building has three different facades with abundant decorative elements: split pediments, elliptical windows, classic moldings, female heads, shields ... The construction materials used were Macael marble (Almeria) and Villalba granite, iron and zinc.
The main façade, in the Town Hall square, is marked with a porch to which the Sessions Hall opens, topped by the main dome. Through this portico we access the interior where its hall and the imperial staircase are illuminated by lunettes, decorated with allegorical motifs related to the city, and a large stained glass window where the shield of Cartagena stands out. This staircase serves as an axis to the building in which the main dependencies in modernist style, such as the Plenary Hall, the Hall of Councilors and the Mayor's Office.
At present, after its restoration at the beginning of the 21st century, it maintains its representative function and bureaucratic activity of the municipal corporation.
Enjoy a Virtual Visit to the Palacio Consistorial. Click here